EDM Digest: Volume 2
Bringing SR top-flight mixes and singles from the world of EDM every week
1. We’ll start this digest off with a live set from one of my favorite artists out there: London native Scuba. Considered by many as a pioneer of dubstep and the U.K. bass scene, Scuba redefines genres and expands boundaries as easily as he moves his crossfader. His immensely influential record label, Hotflush Recordings, remains a hotspot for up and coming DJs and producers like Joy Orbison, Mount Kimbie, Sepalcure and Sigha (all highly recommended). Having just released a BBC Essential Mix this past weekend, and with a highly anticipated album due out soon entitled Personality, Scuba’s popularity is only growing. The set here is one recorded in the Beatport offices a couple of days before his debut Essential Mix. Can’t miss with either one. Enjoy:
2. Next up, a 2-for-1 from the Worldwide Sounds radio show. Clocking in at a cool hour, this mix features two great DJs – Nic Fanciulli and Subb-an. If you liked the Maceo Plex mix from last week, Subb-an’s portion will not disappoint. A budding star that’s released tracks off Crosstown Rebels, Jamie Jones’ Hot Creations label and his own On Records home, Subb-an’s dark and aggressive style of deep house is the main attraction here. Take a gander:
3. Third entry in this week’s digest is a fiery, up-tempo live set from Isaac Silva, a Spanish national specializing in big-room house and techno. I kind of stumbled on this set by mistake, and man, good thing I did. This was an instant add to the running playlist, and for good reason. Silva paces this set nicely, and his swinging, energetic style leaves very little filler throughout. The result is a lean and consistent mix that is as unrelenting as it is fun. Vamos!
4. Thought one 2-for-1 mix was good? Here’s a second helping. Recorded on The Dog & Pony Radio Show (if you’re in NYC, check them out), this podcast boasts a guest appearance from none other than Till Von Sein. The first hour is a kind of compilation of fresh singles from the likes of Nicolas Jaar and the aforementioned Scuba, along with newly released tracks from FutureBoogie and Let’s Play House Recordings – so don’t skip it! The second hour is exactly what you’d expect from Till Von Sein – unpredictable, soulful and impossible not to smile to. I’m considerably biased since Von Sein produced my absolute favorite track of 2011 (LTD. Listen. Now.) last year off his debut album, #LTD. Yet, the guy’s talent is unmistakable after a turn through this guest mix. I dare you not to like it:
5. For those on the nu-disco side of the aisle…never fear! I just got my hands on an absolutely insane Triple J mix from disco heavyweights Perseus, and who better to share it with than SR fam? I caution you, this mix smokes from start to finish. It has been linked to uncontrollable gyrating/thrusting/twirling and will turn you into a disco queen at a moment’s notice. You’ve been warned: