Moogfest: Day by Day Lineup and Pricing
By Ali McGhee
The organizers of Moogfest have realized their dreams of bringing festival-goers “the Synthesis of Technology, Art & Music” this year. The festival that honors Dr. Robert Moog, pioneer of sound engineering, began announcing its lineup last Fall, and it just keeps getting better and better. If you needed one last push to get down south and experience this revolutionary event, let this be it.
The festival, which runs from April 23-27 in Asheville, North Carolina, is a coming-together of “mind-expanding conversation,” creativity, spectacle, and, of course, music. Day-time events include panels by cutting-edge scholars in fields ranging from philosophy to trans-humanism, as well as presentations from team members at Google, pioneers of electronic music instruments, and hands-on events that will allow participants to “tweak, bend, and hack technology to their own will.” In the evenings, the party proper begins, with a star-studded lineup that includes the best of the best in electronic and experimental music, including Flying Lotus, RJD2, Giorgio Mordorer, Daedalus, El-P, and more.
The festival headliners, German electronic innovators Kraftwerk, are a highlight of the four-day experience. The synthesis of aural and visual technologies in their 3D performances makes them a spectacular centerpiece, but the other acts this year are just as impressive. Things start (and never let up) with Wednesday’s lineup, which includes Pet Shop Boys, El-P, Slow Clap, and more. Anti-popstar M.I.A., whose most recent album, Matangi, topped the electronic dance music charts, performs Saturday night. Local favorites like In Plain Sight, who won Moogfest’s 2012 remix contest, will give you the chance to discover some of the up-and-coming talent that’s about to hit the big time.
If you need a break from the non-stop action of Moogfest, Asheville, multi-year winner of the coveted title of “Beer City USA” has you covered. The home of two James Beard-nominated chefs is also one of the south’s premier foodie paradises. So when you’re not creating, cerebrating, or dancing your face off, there will be plenty of other stuff to keep you busy.
Moogfest offers a variety of ticket options. The Legacy VIP package ($10,000) includes personal airport transportation, 6 nights at the historic Omni Grove Park Hotel, a synth building workshop with Moog engineers, dinner with Keith Emerson, and a personal elephant to ride to all the shows (just kidding about that last one). More affordable passes allow you to catch the whole festival, or you can choose a pass that will allow you night or day access. Single day passes start at $49. Tickets, sold through TicketMaster, are available here.
Moogfest General Admission
- Five evenings of landmark musical performances by new trailblazers, early pioneers of electronic music, and major headliners.
- 5 days, 10 venues, over 100 artists including concerts, experimental performances, and new music showcases.
- Night programming hours: Wednesday – Saturday: 7pm – 2am, Sunday 3pm – 6pm.
- Five days of mind-expanding conversation, experimentation, and collaboration for creative and technology professionals across seven venues in downtown Asheville. The conference is guided by pioneers of music and technology, and co-curated by some of the most important thinkers of today.
- 5 days, 8 venues, over 60 talks, panels, discussion, presentations, and film screenings with futurist thinkers, inventors, entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, artists, and musicians.
- New Media art installations and interactive technology experiences and exhibitions
- Film screenings
- Experimental performances
- Workshops and other interactive educational forums
- Open-source hardware hackathon
- Day programming Hours: Wednesday 3pm-7pm, Thursday – Saturday 11am – 6pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.
- Includes all programming featured above