Seven Tips for Your First Symbiosis Gathering
There’s a reason Symbiosis Gathering is among the most beloved conscious festivals in the world. From its sublime setting at Woodward Reservoir; a round-the-clock roster of music, art, activism, and education; and attendees from all over the world, this is a festival that plays by its own rules. Newcomers, here are seven tips to make the most of your first Symbiosis.
- Greet the sun. No festival comes close to Symbiosis when it comes to sunrise sets. Stay up late or set an alarm, but whatever you do, be sure to watch the sun come up beyond the water while listening to an A-list DJ play dawn-inspired beats.
- Get schooled. This year’s packed roster of world-renowned speakers could fill an Ivy league lecture hall. Do yourself a favor and absorb some wisdom from Vandana Shiva, Winona LaDuke, and Wade Davis, among many other luminaries.
- Hydrate. The lake is part of the Symbiosis playground. Chill on a floatie or swim out to the floating stage. Whatever you do, be sure to soak up Symbiosis’ most iconic feature, the water!
- Check yourself. For leeches, that is. The shallow shore of the reservoir is full of these nasty little blood suckers, which mostly are attracted to feet. Don’t let fear keep you out of the water. Instead, check yourself and each other carefully after each dip and quickly remove them before they latch on.
- Expand your practice. Dozens of legendary yoga instructors will be on hand teaching classes all weekend. Bring a yoga mat and prepare to flow.
- Go it alone. A solid squad is amazing, but nothing compares to the connections you can make when you explore on your own. Take some time to make new friends and check out Symbiosis’ own tips for how to make the most of your newfound freedom in, “SH*T I LOST THE SQUAD.”
- Share. Symbiosis is just the scaffolding. It’s the participants who create the amazing energy the festival has become famous for. Whatever your gifts are — whether it’s making pancakes or giving backrubs — enhance your own experience by sharing.
Symbiosis Gathering 2016 :: Family Tree takes place at Woodward Reservoir in Northern California from September 22-25.