Support the Mamby Plunge For A Great Cause [This Weekend]
Spring is on its way, but Lake Michigan is still freezing cold. People have been jumping into the frigid lake for years, usually for a good cause. The people of React Presents and Mamby on the Beach are returning again for a freezing dip into the lake to support West Point Missionary Baptist Church and the KLEO Community Life Center. The Mamby Plunge is quickly turning into a fun event that goes much deeper than music. This Saturday, join the folks of React and Mamby for a chilly dip into the lake at Oakwood Beach.
The West Point Missionary Baptist Church is committed to the community.
“As a 100-year-old congregation, we understand our mandate to serve others, and we work diligently to live out our calling to all we meet, irrespective of socio-economic and geographic standing, as well as race, culture, creed, relationship preference, etc. Provided is a list of community engagements our local church has sponsored, and continue to engage:
- Dare to Care Community and Resource Fair (9 years)
- HIV/AIDS Workshop and Awareness, which includes status testing on Sunday mornings bi-annually (7 years)
- Blue Bow Campaign—raising awareness about and fighting against child abuse (10 years)
- Domestic Violence and Advocacy—raising awareness about and fighting for victims of domestic violence (10 years)
- Breast Cancer Awareness (12 years) • Food Pantry and Clothing Ministry—weekly distribution; recognize by the Chicago Greater Food Depository as one of Chicago’s best pantries; serving over 20,000 families yearly (12 years).
- Mental Health and Wellness (6 years)
The Kleo Community Life Center takes the next generation of community builders into account.
“KLEO offers a dependable, caring environment and diverse positive outlets for adolescents and teens whose lives have been impacted by poverty, teen pregnancy, gangs and other challenges. The program is designed to provide children with a warm, supportive environment where they have an opportunity to enjoy activities, make choices, develop responsibilities, build character and stimulate their curiosity.
- Youth Empowerment (Safe Haven, Youth Workforce Development, After School Matters)
- One Summer Chicago + Program 7 week program 30 hours per week on worksite (Age Requirement 16-24)
- After School Programs Ages 6-12 Math, Reading & Science Tutoring Arts & Crafts Classes Computer Classes Kids Café-Healthy Eating Education
- After School Matters Program (Partnership) Ages 13-18 Music Lessons (read, write & compose) Poetry Classes Dance Classes Acting Classes”
These two organizations are supported by people around and in the community. Help is always needed and the Mamby Plunge is another way that Mamby on the Beach and React Presents can help. While the event is just a couple days away, those who would like to get involved are encouraged to raise money or donate to these two great causes. Those who raise money have the chance to check out Mamby on the Beach in style. Mamby on the Beach is held at Oakwood Beach June 23 & 24th, 2018. This year’s headliners include Cold War Kids, Common, Spoon, Grizzly Bear, Russ, Jai Wolf, Richie Hawtin, Duke Dumont, and more.
Looking to get involved?
All who raise $125 and participate in the Plunge, will receive:
Still want to hit Mamby on the Beach? Snag tickets here!